Regular use of these products, over a number of days, can lead to them soaking into your clothing, bedding and bandages/dressings. If you then introduce an ignition or heat source such as
- Accidentally, dropping a cigarette or a lighted match
- Sitting too near to a gas, halogen or open fire
- Catching your clothing on a hob when cooking.
You can cause a fire to develop, burn intensely and spread rapidly. This could lead to a serious injury or death. Nationally, there have been at least 8 deaths associated with paraffin-based skin products within the last 12 months (Feb 2018).
What can I do to make sure I’m safe?
- Never smoke in bed
- Do not smoke if there is any chance your clothing or dressings could be contaminated with these products
- Do not cook if there is any chance your clothing or dressings could be contaminated with these products
- Do not sit too close to any open fires, gas fires or halogen heaters
- Wash your clothing and bedding daily at the highest temperature recommended by the fabric care instructions. This should reduce some of the contamination but may not remove it completely.
What can I do to make sure my friends and family are safe?
Share this information with them so that they are also aware of the potential risks.